A diet for the treatment of depression should contain foods that are good for the nervous system and brain. Because many factors can cause depression, certain useful elements are recommended to control stress levels.
There are certain types of foods that increase the production of serotonin and endorphins that are considered hormones of happiness. They encourage a person by eliminating the symptoms of a nervous disorder.
Fighting depression with food
Depression is a problem of all mankind, which affects a huge number of people on the planet. It is characterized by a state of constant deep sadness, exacerbated by irritability, hopelessness, and loss of interest in life.
There are many factors associated with depression, most of which have an emotional component. Depression can also be caused by environmental factors, hormonal changes, or a sedentary lifestyle.
Recommended useful elements against depression
Such elements include:
- Vitamin C: is responsible for the synthesis of neurotransmitters and reducing the effects of free radicals.
- Folic acid: the so-called vitamin B9, which helps increase serotonin levels.
- Tryptophan: an essential amino acid that naturally relaxes the body by promoting the production of serotonin.
- Phenylalanine: another type of amino acid that stimulates endorphin secretion.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: maintain mental stability, improve concentration, and prevent depression.
- Calcium and magnesium: also help produce neurotransmitters.
- Potassium: calms the nervous system, reduces irritability, and fights depression.
Food that improves mood:
Foods that contain nutrients that invigorate a person can be added to any diet designed to treat depression. Although not necessary, they will help to stabilize the symptoms.
1. Green leafy vegetables
Due to the high content of magnesium, green leafy vegetables help balance the nervous system. Therefore, they are great for dealing with emotional disorders such as anxiety and depression.
Nuts help to stabilize well-being, thanks to Omega-3 fatty acids, amino acids, and minerals – potassium and magnesium.
3. Flax seeds
Flax seeds and oil contain Omega-3 fatty acids, which improve the health of the nervous system. Also, they eliminate inflammation and improve the cardiovascular system.
Cocoa, the main ingredient in dark chocolate, is one of the best anti-depressant products. Amino acids increase the production of serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter of happiness.
Enriched with vitamin B12 and amino acids, eggs are an indispensable food for a balanced diet. Useful elements of eggs normalize the nervous system and relieve stress and depression.
Other foods that relieve depression:
- Chia seeds and sunflower seeds;
- Natural yogurt;
- Lean meat;
- Fatty fish;
- Whole-grain foods.
Food that should better avoid
Unfortunately, when a person is depressed, it often wants to taste junk food. These foods not only worsen depression but also contribute to weight gain, as well as causing other problems in the body.
What food should you forget about forever?
- Sugar and all foods where it is contained;
- Carbonated sweet drinks;
- Fried potatoes and instant foods;
- Excess caffeine;
- Industrial baking;
- Fatty cheese foods.
It is also important to use other methods to combat depression because nutrition itself is not enough. Psychological and other medical care can determine what methods and drugs can be used to supplement treatment.
Picture Credit: Unsplash