Of course, oatmeal is incredibly useful food for the body. However, by combining it with other nutritious meals and regular exercise, you can increase the beneficial properties of oatmeal and regulate cholesterol levels in the body.
The effect of oatmeal on cholesterol levels
Oatmeal is a universal cereal because it tastes great with milk and juice. Oatmeal contains a large amount of soluble fiber, which can regulate cholesterol levels in the body.
Daily consumption of oatmeal can significantly reduce cholesterol levels in the body. Also, oatmeal stimulates the heart and improves the functioning of the circulatory system.
Oatmeal is rich in not only fiber but also other nutrients:
- Saponin (plant glycoside), accelerates the neutralization of bad cholesterol.
- Avenanthramide (polyphenolic compound) due to its antioxidant properties improves heart function and prevents the accumulation of free radicals, which are the main cause of atherosclerosis.
- Soluble fiber (beta-glucan) reduces the rate of absorption of fats in the intestine. As a result, fat does not enter the bloodstream.
How to eat oatmeal?
Note that not all foods containing oatmeal will help neutralize bad cholesterol.
For example, oatmeal cookies, which are sold in every store. And it will only worsen your condition because they contain a huge amount of fat and sugar.
The same goes for instant oatmeal with a variety of fillings, which can often be found on food shelves. These products should not be eaten, because such flakes also contain a lot of sugar.
If you want your cholesterol level to be normal, you should be eating dishes based on oatmeal and flour that do not contain harmful ingredients.
Such foods include:
- Cereal bars with oatmeal, honey, and fruit. These healthy sweets are becoming more popular every year. If you eat such a bar for lunch or a snack, you will be able to charge the body with energy for the whole day. It will not only help balance blood sugar levels but also provide a long-lasting feeling of satiety and protect against overeating and eating harmful snacks.
- Oatmeal is one of the most beneficial foods for a person who cares about their health. To make the meal even more nutritious, you can add one tablespoon of flaxseed to oatmeal. If you want to make the taste of the dish more interesting and original, add fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries) to the oatmeal.
Oatmeal is an indispensable component of a proper diet
No matter how you decide to eat oatmeal, this cereal tastes great in its pure state and in combination with other foods. For example, in the morning oatmeal can be eaten with natural yogurt or freshly squeezed orange juice.
Oatmeal retains all its nutrients and fiber because after harvesting and cleaning it does not remove the outer shell.
However, oatmeal in its pure form should not be expected to have miraculous properties, because it will not be able to replace all other food.
If you want to regulate cholesterol levels in the body, you need to not only eat oatmeal but also follow the principles of proper nutrition and reduce the amount of fat and sugar in the diet.
Note that the level of fat in the blood depends on many factors.
Its number is influenced not only by diet but also by low physical activity, stress, and a sedentary lifestyle.
That is why, despite all the useful properties of oatmeal, you should not put all your hopes solely on it.
Picture Credit: Pexels