Almost every serious athlete faced with such a problem as cramps of the calf muscles. The causes of this phenomenon are numerous, but fortunately – they are well understood. If you experience painful muscle cramps on a regular basis, you should make minor changes to your training program and diet.
Possible causes of seizures
The causes causing convulsions are very diverse. They can be conventionally divided into original and acquired. The underlying causes are various diseases and injuries, the negative manifestation of which may be cramps of the calf and other muscles. And the acquired causes of seizures may arise in connection with the wrong lifestyle or critical situation.
To begin, consider the likely initial causes (not related to the circumstances):
- neurological infections, injuries and brain damage;
- feverish state, elevated body temperature;
- Gestosis – a pathology that develops at late pregnancy.
Many researchers also note hereditary predisposition. If one of your relatives regularly reduces the calf muscle, you fall into the risk area.
If you do not have any of the above diseases, and your legs are reduced predominantly during training, then look for the cause of this unpleasant syndrome in the list below.
What are the causes of muscle spasms acquired:
- Hypoxia, that is, lack of oxygen. Quite often it happens in the pool or during intensive cardio workout.
- Low levels of glucose, magnesium and calcium in the blood. The disadvantage of these substances is a frequent problem of athletes. In order to avoid their shortage, it is necessary to balance the nutrition and take special supplements in the process of intensive training. Integrated vitamin and mineral supplements are the easiest way out of this situation.
- Violation of the water-salt balance of the organism. Increased sweating may provoke electrolyte imbalance. This problem is solved by special sports drinks – electrolytes.
- Poisoning with medicines and even sports supplements. Always read the instructions carefully and do not exceed the recommended dosage. Any supplement to food should be taken deliberately, taking into account your body’s condition.
How to quickly remove a spasm?
What to do if it reduces the calf muscle? Quickly get rid of an unpleasant sensation and remove spasm in one of four ways.
Intensive stretch. Sit on the floor, stretch your legs in front of you and slightly bend them in your knee. Grasp your feet with your two hands and pull yourself. You should feel the tension and stretching of the muscle simultaneously. Better if someone helps you do this manipulation.
Deep massage. Energize the painful muscle. This will help eliminate spasm.
Elastic ribbon. You can find special tapes and bandages in the pharmacy or in various sports goods stores, which quickly relieve muscle aches.
Prick in the muscle. This is very effective, but it is a rather dangerous way. Under no circumstances do it yourself! Only doctor can carry out the procedure. Pay attention to the sterility of the equipment used.
If after training reduces the calf muscle, a great solution is a massage.
Prevention of seizures at athletes
As you already understand, the main cause of seizures at athletes is dehydration and a violation of the balance of trace elements in the body. This is sometimes caused not only by malnutrition and insufficient fluid intake, but also by the incorrect construction of the occupation. In order to resolve this issue, consider the following points.
- Diversify your diet. Be sure to include fresh vegetables, fruits, oatmeal and buckwheat groats, as well as by-products.
- Drink a preventive course of drugs containing calcium and vitamin D. This removes excessive muscle tension and adjusts the balance of substances in the body.
- Never miss a workout. Light exercises will warm the muscles and reduce the loss of potassium and calcium.
- Try to increase the pace and volume gradually. Extreme training is recommended only in the presence of an experienced trainer.
- Do not overburden one muscle group during exercise. It is strongly recommended for beginners to train muscles in isolation (for example, to devote all training to the press or hands). Start with complex workouts.
- Sign up for a massage. A quality massage performed by a specialist will restore blood circulation and reduce the likelihood of further convulsions.
Thus, spasms of calf muscles do not always indicate neurological disorders. In most cases, they are provoked by malnutrition, taking Dietary supplement or overly tense training.
If the cramp is not accompanied by such symptoms as very severe pain or loss of consciousness, start with a small adjustment of the diet and make a competent plan of study. If, after this, still reduces the gastrocnemius muscle in the process of training, immediately consult your therapist. Successful training to you and be healthy!
Image credit: shauking